Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Thunderstorms

There are few things I love more than waking up to a thunderstorm and having nowhere to be.

I woke up this morning in just such a scenario and took my own precious time laying in bed and listening to the rain hit my window. But what good is a storm without snuggling up in a blanket with a book and a steaming mug? So I came downstairs and, after opening all of our blinds, made some hot tea and grabbed my book.

Florida, hands-down, has the best thunderstorms I've ever witnessed. There are the peaceful morning storms that roll in off the water, like this morning, and then there are the powerful, wild ones that wake you in your sleep and leave you with pre-Edison technology. The rain comes in torrents, the thunder shakes the sky, and the lightning streaks through the clouds.

We had a thunderstorm a couple months ago that took our power out a couple of times. The rain was literally coming sideways. We stepped out on our screened-in porch to watch at one point, and in the blink of an eye, the wind shifted. We could barely make the two steps inside before we were soaked clear through our clothes! We took a little video of it from our front door:


Note that in the video, it is not 10 pm, rather 5:30 pm, and our door has a awning that stretches a good four feet from the door!

1 comment:

  1. Agreed, the thunderstorms are amazing. I took a little nap during the one this afternoon. But sometimes they make me nervous...haha

    ReplyDelete