Saturday, January 22, 2011

Gorilla Bread

This morning I decided breakfast needed to be more interesting than our standard cereal options. Don't get me wrong, I love cereal, but lazy Saturday mornings just lend themselves to something a little extra, don't you think?

As I was flipping through a cookbook, searching for inspiration, I came across a recipe in a cookbook for Gorilla Bread. Before I could help it, my mind was flooded with childhood Christmas memories of my mom making my brother Ryan and I monkey bread as a super special treat. Pair it with some orange-pineapple-banana juice and suddenly I couldn't think of anything better to make for our Saturday breakfast!


I decided to take a little liberty on the original recipe, and it was very yummy indeed! Despite our nibbling and grazing throughout the morning, we still have a large platter of it in our fridge... any and all hungry friends are welcome to come help us polish it off!
_______________________________________________________________


GORILLA BREAD
Makes 8-10 Servings

Ingredients:


1/2 cup sugar
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped pecans
20-25 oz refrigerated Pillsbury biscuits
8 oz cream cheese
1/2 cup butter
1 cup packed brown sugar



1. Preheat your oven to 350F. Spray a bundt pan with nonstick cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with pecans and set aside. Cut the softened cream cheese into small cubes. The recipe called for 20 cubes, but I ended up making my cubes smaller - about 30.

2. Mix the granulated sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl. One by one, take each biscuit and flatten it in the palm of your hand. Then lightly coat both sides in the cinnamon sugar. Then place a small cream cheese cube in the center and wrap the biscuit around, pinching it together. Set the balls on a small plate for the time being.

3. Fill the bundt pan with half of the dough balls. Then sprinkle half of the remaining cinnamon sugar mixture on top. In a small saucepan, melt the butter and stir in the brown sugar. Pour half of it into the bundt pan. Layer the remaining dough balls, the remaining cinnamon sugar, and the remaining butter glaze. I made a point to try and line the outsides of the balls with the glaze to prevent the biscuits from getting too crunchy or hard.

4. Bake for 30 minutes. After removing, allow the pan to cool for about 5 minutes before using a plate to invert the bread. Serve it warm and savor every indulgent bite! :)


My handsome husband appeasing me with one final picture before we dug in! What a good guy...

1 comment: